Thursday, December 17, 2009

New Abney Park Album!

After long weeks of waiting, I finally received "Aether Shanties" the new Anbey Park CD in the mail (It's the first album of theirs that I actually got the physical CD for). It's quite good. Not as industrial or tribal sounding as some of their other stuff, but all the tracks definitely sound like them.

There is a steampunky version of the traditional pirate song "The Derelict", with all the verses in their gruesome glory, and they wrote their own pirate song too, "Aether Shanties". It's definitely my favorite song on the album. They have another pirate song, "Ballad of Captain Robert", that is on Youtube from an acoustic set at a convention, and I think they should put it on a CD in the near future.

There is even a Steampunk anthem! That's right! It's called "Throw Them Overboard", and it pretty much sums it up. Any anthem that say "newfangled" is all right in my book, dang-nabbit!

One thing that came as a nice surprise were a couple of 1920's sort of jazzy numbers. When I heard them, the first thing I thought of was a sort of Bertie Woosterish character in a garish club full of aeronauts, but that is probably because I have just begun reading all the P.G. Wodehouse I can get my hands on. It makes me want to write a story I have had in my head for a while...

2 comments:

  1. Concentrate on the steampunk one, 'cause I want to read it, and your AttentionDeficitOohShiny might act up and spoil things, like some prospector's trick knee.

    Not that I really get to talk; the only reason I've finished my (4!) books is through an arduous, Batman like process of reassigning habits. Whenever a normal person would sit down and watch whatever's on TV, to kill time, I trained myself instead to go write. I'm like a Shaolin monk—I remain assured that this technique was recorded in the lost Marrow Washing Classic of Lord Bodhidharma. Yes it's a real book.

    Diction like this is the result of spending a morning reading TV Tropes and Penny Arcade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the story of which you speak, MWAHAHAHA! Write it!

    ReplyDelete