Thursday, January 14, 2010

Steampunk is pretty famous...

... or at least famous enough to rate its own endcap at Barnes and Noble, where I work as a purveyor of fine reading material. Imagine my surprise, upon clocking in, to turn around and discover a display called Steampunk Fiction! There were a handful of the latest offerings in the genre, and I thought it was a little odd. My colleagues had, with the exception of one or two people, not heard of steampunk, except from me, but I guess someone in the company back east had.

What I found odd specifically, aside from the very existence of such an endcap, was the selection of titles. There is actually some entertaining steampunk out there right now, but they missed some of the good ones, like Affinity Bridge, and included, of all things, Golden Compass. I think there is a fine line. Golden Compass looks steampunk, which, really, I suppose, is enough, since steampunk is a visual style. But the story had nothing to do with steam machines or Victorian science, and really only touches on any kind of science tangentially. I know this seems awfully stubborn, but the mere presence of airships doesn't make something steampunk. Is the alternative universe in Doctor Who where Rose gets stuck, and Mickey turns into a badass, steampunk? No.

I just don't think Golden Compass is steampunk, but if you watch the movie and fast-forward through the boring parts, it sure is pretty. Stardust is more steampunk, with the coolest airship in any movie, probably.

Another couple of books that looked good, but which I haven't read are Boneshaker (it's not about a bicycle, but that was why it caught my eye, along with the shiny goggles on the cover), and Grand Tour, which looks adorable and fun. They also had Leviathan, by Scott Westerfield, which is a totally epic steampunk version of World War I, for teeneagers! It has great illustrations and good characters, and better still, a journal that matches it. I saw the cover, and totally wanted one, but not enough to spend money on it. But then I looked inside, and discovered.... the pages aren't lined!!! What they called a journal was, in fact, a sketchbook, the holy grail of little books that fit in your purse! It has lovely, cream-colored paper with just enough weight and texture to get a nice line, and it doesn't smudge. I bought two.

But I digress. What book do you think was not on that endcap? Something that really should have been. Difference Engine! William Gibson's Difference Engine was not on the steampunk endcap, and woe to humble book grunts who try and change the required title lists handed down to us. Now, I personally could not get through the first couple of chapters of that book, and I find it really dull, since it doesn't feel, to me, like the characters fit in that time period. It's really more cyberpunk with fancier clothes. That being said, if you are a bookstore, and you are taking it upon yourself to introduce a genre to the nation, shouldn't you include that genre's seminal work?

Not including Difference Engine, and including Golden Compass, shows their understanding of steampunk to be purely based on style, and not based on the philosophy or themes that make it a defined genre of science fiction, however fanciful it gets. The sheer variety and creativity is a big part of what makes steampunk so appealing, but a nod to the canon would be nice. I myself would have included some Jules Verne for good measure, even though, obviously, he was just writing science fiction in his time, steampunk not yet being a twinkle in his eye.

Still, I'm glad people are reading steampunk books, and writing steampunk books, and that the new ones seem pretty good. Perhaps there will be a market clamoring for more when I eventually crank mine out...

4 comments:

  1. I just finished reading the Boneshaker and I thought it was actually pretty good! Being from the Seattle area the story intrigued me. And while it is very entertaining and a great read the actual Steampunk aspects are not played up as they could have been. This makes sense because Steampunk stuff is not really what the story is about. I highly recommend it though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear. It's definitely high on my list of books I need to get to. Working in a bookstore makes that list a bit overwhelming...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally I'd say that, apart from the Victorian trappings, Steampunk needs to have a technological optimism—that technology will help rather than hurt—distinguished from Star Trek's technological optimism by the fact people's actions are still more important than the gadgets they do them with. That'd also set it apart from a certain kind of "hard" SF, that the stories are people-driven rather than tech-driven, but still more about action than psychology (setting it apart from "soft" SF). That actually makes it more typical of pulp-era space-opera than cyberpunk; maybe it should have its name changed to Steampulp. Or Airship Opera?

    The shallow categorization you witnessed is, I suspect, a sign that steampunk's being noticed by the mainstream, and admired for its aesthetic, but not fully understood or appreciated. Be warned, those mainstream sirens exact a terrible price for their favor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mainstream sirens indeed. If I was in high school, I would have ditched steampunk when it got mainstream, but I have mellowed on that. Why abandon something I like when what I should do is make it better, and introduce it to people in a more in-depth way? Represent!

    ^_^ Yay for airship opera! I think it should be a thing. The COMING THING??? Perhaps I shall expound on this...

    ReplyDelete