Monday, February 22, 2010

Some steampunkery I have been making

So, all of you who have been hanging on my every post have probably been wondering, where is this series on my growing steampunk collection I promised way back when? Something about jodhpurs? Well, the jodhpurs article has spiraled out of control, and needs an entire spring break to get it done. This always happens to me. In the meantime, heres some steampunk stuff I've been working on.

I've been working on top hats for a while, making them the right size for ladies, covering them in luxurious fabrics, etc. My friend, who's a belly dancer, commissioned some for her troupe, and they are quite fancy! This is probably my favorite:


They are fun to wear, and I've finally gotten them to stay put perched elegantly on top of the head. (The secret of how they did it in Victorian time??? Hair Extensions! No kidding. Not for everyday wear, necessarily, but the big fancy hair? Yep. Fake.) They look like this when you wear them:


A couple of weeks ago I made a fascinator too. It was really easy, except for getting the feathers to all point the right way....


Currently, I'm working on a totally new type of hat!!! I'll get pics up soon.

4 comments:

  1. "Fascinator" may well be the weirdest name of anything in fashion, and that's one hell of a competition.

    This reminds me, though, that "fascinate" was a much stronger word back then—it wasn't a synonym for "interest", it was more a synonym for "mesmerize". A lot of words we think of as very light were actually pretty serious—"insult" meant closer to "humiliation", and words like "scamp" and "rascal" meant closer to "dirtbag" or "reprobate".

    I blame thesauruses for this weakening of words. Devil's Catechisms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, whenever I think about fascinators, I picture people staring at my head. Awkward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anthony student of santacruzMay 13, 2013 at 4:33 PM

    hay its anthony where do i find/see the sight that showed the different hats and material

    ReplyDelete
  4. hay its anthony again i made a new blog of my own! can you answer my Question by commenting on my blogpost at anthonycarino.blogspot.com?!

    ReplyDelete